Imtroduction (160 words)
-Purpose/aims of the essay
-Specific (E.g. this essay will ?.instert words from the question)
By analysing the views of?.Parsons, Walby, Beechey, Barron & Norris ect.
Background information ?e.g participation. Women entering economy. Also put statisticks.
-In the essay you should provide table chart graphs,etc (such as ?partisipation
-part time and full time
-segregation (horizontal and vertical)
-gender pay gap
-low to stop inequality (ex. Equality Act 2010)
-Walby and (Pollert-critisism)
-Human Capital Theory
-Parsons-women less commitated tocontinuous employment
-EVOLUATION of Human Capital Theory
-Witz, Rees and Sloone- critisism of Human Capital Theory
-here you can include gender pay gap statistic (But you shoul link this to fucts thet you provide before)
-The Dual Labour Market theory
– Barron & Norris-primary labour market and secondary labour market ?different working conditions/pay, etc.
!VERY IMPORTANT! Similarities with others theories (e.g. secondary labour market consist of women with less commitment to work/training (same as Human Capital Theory)
-EVALUATION (critisism) ?Beechey (3 critisism) Statistics-horisontal sagrigation.
-Gender labour market segmentation -5 clusters insted og 2
– VERY IMPORTANT! Similarities with others theories (e.g. femail desenders is similar to Human Capital Theory. HOWEVER, labourmarket descenders show men ALSO suffer the same problem.
-Reserve Army of Labour
-what is it?
-Beechey ? why are most women most suited?
– EVALUATION (critisism) – cannot explain horizontal -Segregation- statistics here!!!!!!
-support Reserve Army of Labour (Linda McDowell) gender and post fordism
Women are a flexible labour force, used wher required.
This theories are less important but you steel must provide information about them (blaiming men)
Theories based on Patriarchy/ Sexualisation
– Stanko, Prinle
– -Adkins (Mixture)
– Hakim ?( women have a choice)
Conclusion (120-165 words)
-pick a side- use the words from a question
summerise why you have picked that side?
USE AS MANY GRAPHS CHARTS STATISTICKS AS YOU CAN
-participation (what % of the countries workers are women)
-Types of work (which type of work/industry do women dominant? Why?)
-Full time/part time
-Additional responsibilities/domestic (women who combine housework with paid work)
-Famous examples (business etc. )-Famous businesswomen ? it is good to put this ex. In our introduction
-Use ONS/BBC ? general articles
-Google ?women and work statistics UK? -use graphs
-Gender Pay Gap
-You MUST combine facts and statistics with theories
-you MUST use graphs, charts and diagrams
1)The ‘marrige of Marxism and feminism.
2) The structures of patrirchy
3)Variation in patriarchy
-evaluation of Walby
5) Anna pollert ? the poverty of patriarchy
6) Gender inequalities at work
-legal opportunity legislation
7) gender and earnings
8) explanation for gender inequalities in employment
9) Functionalism and human capital theory
10)The dual labour market theory
-the primary labour market
-the secondary labour market
11) Gender and labour market segmentation
12)Women as the reserved army of the labour !!!! VERY IMPORTAANT
13) Linda McDowell ? gender and post-Fordism!!!! VERY IMPORTAANT
14)Redical feminism and femail employment
15) Lisa Adkins ? the sexualization of women’s work
Explanations for gender inequalities in Employment
Women face a no. of disadvantages in paid work:
1. Paid less than men
2. More likely to be in part-time work
3. Concentrated in lower reaches of occupations
4. Tend to do particular types of jobs