o Chapters 6-12, pp 155-345
K&P have done extensive research on the characteristics of admired leaders on multiple continents for over 25 years. What did they learn and share about each of the following characteristics?
22. Being honest
23. Being forward looking
24. Being inspiring
25. Being competent
The Ten Commitments of Leadership are embodied in the Five Fundamental Practices of Exemplary Leadership found on pp 14-23 (also Table 1.1 on p 26). Look at the Ten Commitments and provide an example of each:
26. Clarify values by finding your voice and affirming shared ideals.
27. Set the example by aligning actions with shared values.
28. Envision the future by imagining exciting and ennobling possibilities.
29. Enlist others in a common vision for appealing to shared aspirations.
30. Search for opportunities by seizing the initiative and by looking for ways to improve.
31. Experiment and take risks by constantly generating small wins and learning from experience.
32. Foster collaboration by building trust and facilitating relationships.
33. Strengthen others by increasing self-determination and developing competence.
34. Recognize contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence.
35. Celebrate the values and victories by creating a spirit of community.
36. K&P use the Marine Corps exercise “two sheets and a blanket” as an illustration. What does it illustrate?
37. Define “collaboration” as employed by K&P.
38. Babe Ruth stuck out 1,330 times. In-between his strikeouts he hit 714 homeruns. Michael Jordan missed more than 9,000 shots. How do K&P feel about employees who take risks?
39. Athletic coaches do not wait until the season is over to let their players know how they are doing. How can organization leaders recognize and reward employees in a timely manner?
40. Recognition awards vary from organization to organization. What are some examples that you have experienced or observed?
41. Have you ever had a mentor? List some of the benefits of having a mentor.
42. Is self-reflection important? Why or why not?
43. How do K&P answer the question: Are leaders born or made?
may you please identify the page number for each questions